The Bus Stop is a series of true stories about my life, people I've worked with and events I've experienced. Of course the names have been changed. I hope these stories will brighten your day with a few laughs as well as give you encouragement. Hopefully you can avoid making some of the mistakes I've made and if you have already made them, then you can identify with me.


Monday, October 3, 2011

Heaven


All of us at one time or another has contemplated heaven. What’s it really going to be like? Where is it exactly? Some may have wondered, “Am I gonna be bored?” I have thought that before. What wonders will we see and of course many other questions. Jesus gave us a few physical characteristics of heaven, but there is not a lot of information about heaven.

The greatest mystery of man has always been what lies on the other side of death. Man’s imagination has come up with some amazing opinions and beliefs, but none of those have biblical foundation of any kind. Many believe that this is all there is and once you die that’s it. Whenever I’m watching a war movie seeing hundreds of men dying on both sides of the battle it’s easy to see them just as being dead and not bound for an eternity.

If you search “heaven” in Bible Gateway you will find about a hundred scriptures on heaven. However, several of them are referring to the sky, stars and referencing to the place where God resides. There is very little physical description of heaven. In John 14:1-3 there is talk about the mansions Jesus is preparing for us and in Revelation 21:9-14 is probably the most physical description of heaven in the Bible.

Not much of this information really tells us much about heaven. There have been several authors who have written books doing their best to describe heaven, but I believe no matter how much study or effort they apply they will never come close to an accurate description. There have been a few who have died and returned who have attempted to describe heaven and what it’s like on the other side. From what I’ve read they haven’t said anything that I haven’t read in the Bible or heard in church. I can’t help but wonder why God would send someone now back with a message when He wouldn’t allow Paul to say anything and Paul was called up to the third heaven. 2 Corinthians 12:1-2 I believe it’s like trying to explain to a 2 year old toddler mathematical equations and formulas on quantum physics times a million. It can’t be done.

I don’t believe we have the mental or spiritual abilities to fathom the Glory of Heaven. There is not one of us who can fathom what it would be like to be completely set apart and free from sin. We can’t fathom what it would be like to be at total peace and free from hurt and pain. We have to accept there are some things we just can’t understand and “Know” that it’s a place where Jesus is and anticipate the wonders greater that we can imagine.

I do believe as we get older and have suffered many hurts and pains (physical and emotional) we have a greater longing for heaven. Young people don’t usually give eternity much thought simply because they haven’t suffered enough. A few months ago I was listening to some old hymns that were probably from the 1930’s and 40’s. I was intrigued that most of these hymns were about their longing for heaven. This was a time of great suffering in our country and people longed for release.

The physical characteristics of heaven are beyond beauty, but we have a mind that’s limited to enjoying this. I know it’s not one thing or the other, but everything together. I don’t believe I could ever come close to describing or dreaming about the wonders of heaven. Can you imagine what you will be doing a billion years from now? I can’t and it’s sort of a scary thought, but not as scary as hell. The greatest wonder of heaven is that we will be with Jesus forever. I don’t even believe we have the spiritual or mental capacity to understand that now and its importance. However, we will and we have to have faith and rest on this for now. All I know for now is that it’s going to be wonderful.

No comments: