The Bus Stop is a series of true stories about my life, people I've worked with and events I've experienced. Of course the names have been changed. I hope these stories will brighten your day with a few laughs as well as give you encouragement. Hopefully you can avoid making some of the mistakes I've made and if you have already made them, then you can identify with me.


Monday, October 17, 2011

Chapters

Definition of a Chapter:

1. One of the main divisions of a relatively lengthy piece of writing, such as a book, that is usually numbered or titled.

2. A distinct period or sequence of events, as in history or a person's life.

I’m sure there are many of you are becoming aware of the many chapters that have come and gone throughout your life. Those of you who are younger may not have as many chapters in your life; then again some of you may have more than those around my age.

The healthiest thing I’ve learned to do in recent years is to close chapters in my life and move on. I was notorious for attempting to hold on to everything in my past. I virtually lived in my past. I was afraid to let my past go mostly because I was so afraid of the future or unknown. I wanted to hang on to almost every event as well as hold on to every friend I made. I even felt guilty about letting go because I believed that moving on was saying I didn’t care or I was doing them some sort of injustice. There were many circumstances I held on to simply because I liked to use them for justification just in case I needed them. Once I let go I felt somewhat vulnerable.

When I think of a picture of what I looked like spiritually and emotionally this is what I see. (No, I didn’t see myself as a woman. This was the only picture I could find.) Naturally I was overwhelmed. Take a minute and think if this might be a picture of you. Are you carrying around stuff that’s inhibiting you and your life? If so, then put them down. It’s time to move on to freedom.

There seems to have been many chapters in my life in just the last few years. I’ve attempted to return to some of them, but I was unable to fit in and I couldn’t make it happen. The chapter was simply closed.

Recently I was a volunteer at an elderly rehab center. (Sort of like a nursing home) I started a new job and had to leave. This was over a month ago and I haven’t returned to visit or anything. I’ve struggled a little with some guilt because I’ve not even had a desire to return. Did I not meet some interesting people or make some friends while I was there? Yes I did. However, I’ve had to accept this chapter is now closed and time to move on.

I will never find what I’m looking for in my past. The past is dead and can’t be changed or repaired. It’s gone! The future could be just a detrimental if I choose to live there. Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes. Matthew 6:34 My mother used to say why are you worried about the future? You may be dead before it ever gets here. For some reason or another I took comfort in that thought.

Are you having difficulty letting go of a past friend, death of a loved one, a job, church, position, children who have strayed or are you ashamed of what you think you’ve become, or what you have done in your past or where you believe you are going? Let go and move on!

So am I saying to never remember anything or anyone from your past? No Way! First of all you can’t. It’s mentally impossible unless you get some sort of brain damage. You don’t quit loving or remembering. It’s just a decision to put down the past and turn your desires, thoughts and dreams to God. He is the past, present and future/eternity. He’s not concerned with what was, but with what is. But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead. And when he was entered into a ship, his disciples followed him. Matthew 8:22-23 Jesus was simply saying, if you want to follow me then get on the boat and leave the past behind. You may want to read the previous verses.

This is something that came to me several years ago and I try to remember it.

Learn from the Past – Live in the Present – Hope for the Future/Eternity

No comments: