The Bus Stop is a series of true stories about my life, people I've worked with and events I've experienced. Of course the names have been changed. I hope these stories will brighten your day with a few laughs as well as give you encouragement. Hopefully you can avoid making some of the mistakes I've made and if you have already made them, then you can identify with me.


Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Healing the Heart

The other day when I was eating at a Whataburger I was looking out the window and a nice SUV pulled in and parked. An elderly couple slowly emerged from the vehicle and came inside. They sat close to where I was sitting and I noticed the man wearing a veteran’s hat. On it was the name of the ship he had served on. For some reason I felt I had to talk to him so when I was leaving I stopped and asked about his hat. Everything began to get really interesting so I asked his wife to scoot over so I could sit down. I learned this man was 98 years old and still was still driving. His wife was 92 years old and they had been married for 66 years. He was 32 years old when they got married. That was right after WWII. I asked the wife what was the secret to their marriage and health. She said, “We like to laugh.” What a blessing I received from this couple by just taking a few minutes to listen.

I couldn’t help but think of the scripture that says, “A cheerful heart is good medicine,
but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.” Proverbs 17:22

This is why we need to stay far away from depression as we can. It will destroy our lives in so many ways. It’s easy to give in to depression and let it control us instead of us controlling it. We have to fight. I saying this from a place that I know because I’ve been there. This could be the very reason I’m having so many health problems now. I don’t believe I struggle with depression now, but I am to dealing with the consequences of my past.

It’s not just a matter of laughing. I’ve seen depressed people laugh and I did as well. Referring back to the scripture it says, “A cheerful heart” It’s not talking about what we manifest on the outside, but what’s in our heart.

Some of you may be in this situation right now feeling trapped and not knowing how to escape. I would be more than glad to help you. All you have to do is ask.

1 comment:

Merana Leigh said...

LOVE this post about this older couple. I only wish I'd known when I was younger the value of friendships I've now formed with older folks. I have 2 very dear friends (one is 72, the other 92). I'm thankful that at the age of 22 I was smart enough to take the time to REALLY spend quality time listening to my grandaddy. PRECIOUS memories.

I will greatly enjoy following you through both of my blogs & invite you follow me on quietministries.blogspot.com as well (and welcome you too on hopefulawaiting.blogspot.com, if you'd like [it's "different"]). I will welcome comments on both!

Thanks for sharing this & I will be praying for your health issues.

Blessings ~ Merana