The Bus Stop is a series of true stories about my life, people I've worked with and events I've experienced. Of course the names have been changed. I hope these stories will brighten your day with a few laughs as well as give you encouragement. Hopefully you can avoid making some of the mistakes I've made and if you have already made them, then you can identify with me.


Monday, January 17, 2011

Gift Frustration

I know there is someone in your life that is almost impossible to buy a gift for. For me it has been my wife. What do you get a woman who has no similar interest, a perfect husband, everything she needs and a wonderful life? I guess a box to put it in. Seriously, I’ve learned that when all else fails, “jewelry.” Now all I need is money.


Definitely the most difficult one to buy for is God. The entire universe is His. I have no need of a bull from your stall or of goats from your pens, for every animal of the forest is mine, and the cattle on a thousand hills. I know every bird in the mountains, and the insects in the fields are mine. If I were hungry I would not tell you, for the world is mine, and all that is in it. Psalm 50:9-12


Some of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever done or seen others do is bargain with God. “Lord, I put a little extra in the offering plate this week so I pray you would let me win the lottery.” How absurd! This is a poor example, but it’s somewhat like offering Bill Gates a nickel for Microsoft. Everything we have is the Lord’s. All the money, possessions, job, health, family and friends we have are The Lord’s and are just on loan to us.


There are many religions that teach that we are to sacrifice and do many religious practices to get God’s favor and attention. It’s really sad. Why do they do it? So they can claim they had something to do with their salvation. Pride!


The Truth…

You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it;
you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.
My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart
you, God, will not despise. Psalm 51:16-17


God just wants us!

No comments: