The Bus Stop is a series of true stories about my life, people I've worked with and events I've experienced. Of course the names have been changed. I hope these stories will brighten your day with a few laughs as well as give you encouragement. Hopefully you can avoid making some of the mistakes I've made and if you have already made them, then you can identify with me.


Thursday, January 6, 2011

On Who's Terms?

You have been running from the enemy for days now. On many occasions you were almost caught, but somehow you manage to escape. You will twist and fight and you are determined to never give up. You’re thirsty, you’re wounded, tired, and haven’t eaten for days, However, you’ve ran into a canyon to make your escape, but now you’ve come to a dead end. You’re trapped and there is no where to go. The enemy is all around you with weapons pointed at you and they tell you to surrender. You shout out you will surrender, but only on your terms. They tell you that you can only surrender on their terms or you will die.

This is an analogy of our life. We as humans with a sinful nature are stubborn and determined to do it our way. The only problem is that our way just leads to more and more pain and hurt. The hurts and pains in our life are to motivate us and help us quit running and surrender to God. These problems in our life are meant to break us down so the only thing to do is surrender to God.

However, the pride in us refuses to give up and keep on fighting God. We are determined to make it work our way and on our terms. The only terms there are God’s and we have to accept them. This is where we will finally have peace. On the other side of surrender is peace. I’m not saying you’ll never have any problems again. I’m just saying its easier going through life with God on your side than fighting with Him.

I want you to understand something that I had as a misconception for most of my life. I felt that surrendering to God meant to agree to never commit a sin again. This is not what it means and it is impossible for us to do so. It means to change my heart from having to do what God says to wanting to do what God says.

Know ye not, that to whom ye yield (surrender) yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness? Romans 6:16

No comments: