The Bus Stop is a series of true stories about my life, people I've worked with and events I've experienced. Of course the names have been changed. I hope these stories will brighten your day with a few laughs as well as give you encouragement. Hopefully you can avoid making some of the mistakes I've made and if you have already made them, then you can identify with me.


Tuesday, May 5, 2009

What is Security?

I’ve asked many women over the years about what was really important to them in life. Each and every time security would be around the top of their list. This is not just a woman thing because I’ve noticed it in everyone. We all have our ways of trying to have security from locks on our doors, cars and lockers to trying to have a nest egg for raining days and emergencies.


I will not disagree and say these things are prudent, but to think we can provide genuine security for our lives is a façade if not even foolish. There are no guarantees. We do the best we can to protect our children, our homes, finances and other possessions, but can we really? The Bible says, "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6:19-21


Many turn to finances to provide the security they desire, but at any given time the money could vanish a lot faster than you earned or inherited it. We do all we can to protect our children, but any given moment they could be taken from us. There’s a possibility that America could become a third world country in the future. Then many say, our government would never let that happen. This is when we start putting our faith and trust in the almighty government.


I spent many years in fear of the future. The Great Unknown! What’s to become of me and my family? How will we survive? What about medical needs? Will our priorities change from getting the kids to soccer practice to, is there any food? I really used to ponder a lot of these questions to no avail. It had neither happened nor was there anything I could do to fix it. This has not happened in my lifetime and it may not. I could be dead by tomorrow.


All any of us can do is deal with today. Our imagination can be a fun companion or a cruel taskmaster. Even when we imagine the future, do we imagine God is already there or is it something we go at alone? Do we have expectations either good or bad? Expectations themselves are dangerous and will usually lead to disappointment.


There have been many women who feel forced into a marriage due to fears and the need of security. Once all of us accept there is no security outside of God and He is all we ever need, then this is where we will find genuine security. Have you become focused in tunnel vision? There is a whole big universe out there to see and if I focus on my 401K and see how much money I’m losing everyday, then I’ve missed the point. So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matthew 6:31-34

No comments: