The Bus Stop is a series of true stories about my life, people I've worked with and events I've experienced. Of course the names have been changed. I hope these stories will brighten your day with a few laughs as well as give you encouragement. Hopefully you can avoid making some of the mistakes I've made and if you have already made them, then you can identify with me.


Monday, May 25, 2009

Time


I guess if anyone knows how limited our time is, it would be me. I’ve told some of you this, but everyday I can’t help but wonder if today is my last day on this planet. I’ve learned this is something most people go through after heart surgery.


Whether or not I’ve had heart surgery doesn’t really matter because the truth still stands that this could be our last day on this planet. We don’t know if it will be through illness, an accident or murder. How we may die has multiple questions that we don’t know the answers to. I think after we reach our 40’s we overcome the invincible feeling and come to the realization we’re mortal.


Believe it or not this is not about death, but about living. How are you living? I’m not talking about if you think you’re a good or bad person. Are you living? Are you living through someone else? Are you wasting your life? I know that I’m the worlds worst at wasting time and we/I have so little of it. Many go to work, shop, take care of kids, prepare dinner, eat, watch a few minutes of TV or check email and hit the bed. The time we do have we find ourselves wasting it on the internet looking at what other people are doing and the same thing could be applied to TV. We do this on a day to day basis and one day we wake up and realize we’re 40 or 50 and wondering where the time went.


We put so much value on the many things we feel that have to be done today. What if you were to die today, who would take care of those many things on your list? Either someone else would or they just wouldn’t get done. All of us are expendable. The next question is what’s important to you. Screaming at your spouse or children or spending quality time with them. We better take advantage of the time we have left.


As much as I know we all need to be eternally minded I know it’s difficult to think of something abstract. I like to ask the question; what do you think you’ll be doing 500 or a 1000 years from now. Stop a moment and think about that. Will you be in heaven? If so, what will you be doing there? Do you know for sure you’re going to heaven? If not, this would be the utmost priority on your list.


We place so much value on the short time we have on this earth. How much can we accumulate, places we can travel, things we can do all while the clock is ticking.


Imagine for a minute that you’ve been offered a perfect job overseas, but there are a few prerequisites to the job. You will not get any pay once you get there, however for every dollar you send over there it will be multiplied a million times in a special bank account. You can’t take anything with you and you don’t know when you will get the opportunity to go. What would you do? Would you sell everything you could to send money forward or would you be skeptical and hold on to everything you could?


The choice you make right now will determine your happiness on this earth and your riches to come. Are you investing in eternity or yourself and the short time you have left on this earth? I’m not just talking about money.


"Don't hoard treasure down here where it gets eaten by moths and corroded by rust or—worse!—stolen by burglars. Stockpile treasure in heaven, where it's safe from moth and rust and burglars. It's obvious, isn't it? The place where your treasure is, is the place you will most want to be, and end up being.” Matthew 6:19-21

No comments: