The Bus Stop is a series of true stories about my life, people I've worked with and events I've experienced. Of course the names have been changed. I hope these stories will brighten your day with a few laughs as well as give you encouragement. Hopefully you can avoid making some of the mistakes I've made and if you have already made them, then you can identify with me.


Wednesday, March 4, 2009

5 More Minutes


How many times have we all said, “If I just had 5 more minutes” I could get to work on time, I could finish the project, we could win the game, I could make it to the gas station or I could pass the test. There are so many ways we could apply this statement.


There are so many things we could do that would take less than 5 minutes or may take seconds like…A kind word, to open the door, to listen or acknowledge someone. There’s probably not a worse feeling in this world than to not be noticed. How many times have we looked away to avoid noticing someone? Especially someone that isn’t pleasant to the eyes, in a wheelchair, walking on a cane or walker or maybe someone who is old. It would only take a few seconds.


So now, what could you do with people that come into your circle for 5 minutes? Many of us say we don’t have 5 minutes to spare. I know I waste more than 5 minutes a day so I can’t lean on that excuse and chances are you can’t either. I’m not trying to put anyone on a guilt trip. I just want you to think about it a little.


Yesterday my number 2 son Stephen (the paramedic) came home from work. He had been at the Hospital in McKinney where I had my surgery and he met the doctor who was in charge of resuscitating me. The doctor told him the policy for resuscitating someone was usually 15 minutes, but they had decided to go the extra 5 more minutes. The extra 5 more minutes would have decided my fate of life or death. My son thanked the doctor for saving his dad and for giving him the 5 more minutes. I learned some more interesting news from my niece this morning. My wife and the nurses were outside my room praying for me and the moment they said “Amen” I started breathing again.


None of us knows how much we impact the lives of others just by giving them a few minutes. I don’t know how many times I have said in the past that no one would even notice if I was gone. I know this is a false statement for me as it would be for you. I know my creditors would miss me.


Take a few moments and think what you could do with 5 more minutes.

No comments: