The Bus Stop is a series of true stories about my life, people I've worked with and events I've experienced. Of course the names have been changed. I hope these stories will brighten your day with a few laughs as well as give you encouragement. Hopefully you can avoid making some of the mistakes I've made and if you have already made them, then you can identify with me.


Sunday, March 15, 2009

Do You Know Me?

I’m fortunate to say that I have many friends and even if I don’t, let me believe I do. As I was pondering this thought, I feel I could safely say many don’t know me that well, then again you may know be better than I thought. I’m going to make a few multiple choice statements and let’s see if you get them correct.

A) I grew up in Lubbock, Texas
B) I played hooky almost half my senior year
C) I was an honor student
D) I had a dog named Champ

Let’s try another one.

A) I went to Texas Tech for 2 semesters
B) I was in the Army for 4 years
C) I have a pilot’s license
D) I was in the Air Force

A) I have a heart for helping people
B) I do a lot of volunteer work
C) I spend several hours on the phone coaching
D) I love to laugh

If you knew me well and grown up with me, (or my family) you would know the answers. You will not be graded on this. These are some things I’ve done in my past and also a look into my character. Many of you that have known me a few years know my character and some of you that I’ve met recently may not. Naturally those who have known me the longest should know me better. However, that’s not always the case. I know some of your deepest secrets and problems, but I don’t know much about your basic background.

Have you ever thought you really knew someone and then one day out of the blue they seemed totally different? I know what you’re thinking, “I married them!” This is just one example, but there are many others.

Over the last few years I had to really rethink the belief I had about God. I spent a big part of my life running from Him and the other part trying to appease Him. I lived in fear and always worried what was in front of me and regretted what was behind me. Many times I believed that God was out to get me until one day I came to the conclusion if He wanted to get me He would have. He wouldn’t have missed!

I grew up in the church starting in the nursery. I’ve learned all kinds of things about church and churches. I learned a lot about what was right and wrong and I experienced a lot of the wrong things. I feel like I’ve really just started learning who God really is and what He’s all about.

He’s not Santa Claus or a good luck charm we can pull out of our pocket when we’re in distress. The God that I’ve been learning about is Pure and Holy Love. This has been a difficult concept for me to understand. Many of us have been deceived in knowing what love really is. When love has been distorted by our background and we try to address it with human wisdom and understanding we will always fall short in knowing the truth.

A few years ago I was falsely accused of doing something wrong. This incident was totally out of my character. Because of this, the person I was accused to didn’t believe the accusation. I also had my wife next to me when I was talking to this person and she verified the truth. There are so many people out there spreading horrid rumors about God. I know I don’t have to defend God and that’s not my purpose. So, what would you have to do to get to know me or anyone else better? You would have to spend time with us. What I want to accomplish is hoping that you will get to know the real God so you won’t be fooled. The people spreading false rumors may be doing it intentionally or unintentionally. It really doesn’t matter. Do you know the real truth? This is our responsibility! Like me, is it possible what you have been thinking or taught all these years was wrong? So, do you really know God?

No comments: