The Bus Stop is a series of true stories about my life, people I've worked with and events I've experienced. Of course the names have been changed. I hope these stories will brighten your day with a few laughs as well as give you encouragement. Hopefully you can avoid making some of the mistakes I've made and if you have already made them, then you can identify with me.


Friday, March 13, 2009

Good Intentions

Many of us have good intentions to do all kinds of different things in our life, but don’t quite get around to it. We had good intentions to pay that bill, but they didn’t care and charged us the late fee anyway. We had good intentions to get our tires changed, but that didn’t keep us from having that flat or call that friend and get that birthday card in the mail and didn’t realize that would have been the only card they got that day, but we failed even though we had good intentions.


Think back through history. What if they never quite got the Declaration of Independence completely finished or Dr. Martin Luther King had meant to march on Washington, but never got around to it. These are a couple of extreme examples, but what about the many times a day we have good intentions to do something that might of changed someone’s life but failed to do so, a simple phone call, a card or a visit.


We will not be judged on our good intentions, but on the things we followed through. I can’t help but think of the song that says, “The road to good intentions doesn’t lead to anywhere.” You may only get one chance to say what you needed to say, do what you needed to do or help those you needed to help.


Many times we believe we have all the time in the world to say or do what we need to do, but we forget to figure in the variables such as time, death, illness or many others situations. All of these could be you and not the other persons. If something happened to you today would your friends know how much you thought of them? Would you children and spouse know how much you loved them? Would you have gone to those places you keep telling others you are going to go to someday?


I know I have a problem with procrastination and putting things off as long as I can. I know this is my problem and if you can identify with me you can know you’re not alone. This is also something I continue to work on in my life. I don’t want to be a person of good intentions, but to be known as a person that didn’t let things go undone.

No comments: