The Bus Stop is a series of true stories about my life, people I've worked with and events I've experienced. Of course the names have been changed. I hope these stories will brighten your day with a few laughs as well as give you encouragement. Hopefully you can avoid making some of the mistakes I've made and if you have already made them, then you can identify with me.


Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Angels of Mercy



Over the last few weeks I’ve been in rehab overcoming some speech and memory problems after surgery with some special help of my therapist Kasey. Naturally I have spent as much time observing others as well as spending some time on my personal recovery and making new friends.

The first thing I realized was many of the people here were in much worse shape than I was and this caused a brief moment of feeling guilty, but also I was filled with gratitude. I knew this could just as easily been me. I am awed by the complexity of people’s physiology how it can be so strong and yet so fragile and resilient.

The next thing I began to watch was the workers and everyone doing their part to make the whole system work. I see the people working and pushing to help their clients move forward and excel in all their endeavors. I see the pain in the patients, but I can also see the hopes in the workers knowing they can help if their clients push through the pain.

What draws these people to this kind of work? What is it inside them that gives them fulfillment and purpose in becoming “Angels of Mercy?” I’ve asked several different workers and it usually falls under the desire to just help people. It probably wouldn’t take too much time to discover there own hurts and pains in wanting to do more than just exist in this life. They want to make their own life counts for more than taking home a paycheck. I can’t help but hear the scripture, “but by love, serve one another.”

There are other Angels of Mercy that I haven’t mentioned yet such as my wife and all the added responsibilities that came on suddenly. She has taken exceptionally good care of me and my sons as well. Then I can’t help but think of those who may not have a loving and sacrificing spouse and once again I feel fortunate.

Then of course the other Angels are the many friends and relatives who have reached out in so many different ways. With the kindness of a message, phone call, visit, provided food and especially their prayers I feel so encouraged to get well.

Many years ago I heard that God shines His light through the holes in our heart and because of the holes in your hearts I’ve seen your light shine.

No comments: