The Bus Stop is a series of true stories about my life, people I've worked with and events I've experienced. Of course the names have been changed. I hope these stories will brighten your day with a few laughs as well as give you encouragement. Hopefully you can avoid making some of the mistakes I've made and if you have already made them, then you can identify with me.


Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Temple

A few months ago I had the privilege to go to Baltimore, Maryland. While I was there I was able to see several of the local sights. One day we went to Annapolis for sight seeing and I learned that the Naval Academy is based in Annapolis. The friend I was with wanted me to see the Navy Chapel or Cathedral. When I walked through the doors it took my breath away because of its beauty. After a few minutes of wandering about I began to feel this cold stale feeling. I thought about this for a few minutes trying to understand the spirit of the situation. Then it dawned on me what was going on.

You see, there are many who believe that God dwells in these places of beauty and majesty. This is not true. These places have been created to give significance to religion and man, but not God. These amazing works of craftsmanship and beauty appeal to the emotions and to the eyes. Now here is the really amazing part. God could dwell in these monuments of beauty and craftsmanship, but He chose to dwell in us instead. We are His cathedrals and His temple. How humbling it is to know He chose you and me. Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you? 1 Corinthians 3:16

There are many who make the reference that our body is a temple. This is a true statement taken from the previous scripture. However, many take this out of context and worship their own bodies. There are many health food nuts and exercise fanatics who attempt to take good care of their bodies, but they forget the real matters of importance. No matter how hard we try, our bodies are going to age and eventually die and turn to dust. So much for all that wheat germ and jogging.

The point is, when aging comes and the body fades away…what’s left? I hope you have more than just your body to get through life. Many have learned this the hard way. They got through the first part of their life on their looks, but when the looks were gone, so were they. I remember hearing an interview with Brad Pitt one evening. When the interviewer referred to him as a national sex symbol it seemed to irritate him. He said his mother had told him with attractiveness comes responsibility and looks may get you through the door, but they won’t keep you in the room. In other words, you better have talent behind the looks.

People are composed of a body, soul and spirit. The body of course is the physical part of us and the soul is the mind, will and emotions. Those who don’t have the body fall back on the soul and substitute education, career and personal success. The one which is most important is the spirit and it’s usually ignored. Please don’t misunderstand me. I’m not saying we shouldn’t be aware of our health and education is extremely important. It just doesn’t need to be the most important. The way we should think is just the opposite. The spirit, soul and body. So, what is the spirit? I’ll let you think about this one and answer it in my next letter. I think you’ll like it.

No comments: