The Bus Stop is a series of true stories about my life, people I've worked with and events I've experienced. Of course the names have been changed. I hope these stories will brighten your day with a few laughs as well as give you encouragement. Hopefully you can avoid making some of the mistakes I've made and if you have already made them, then you can identify with me.


Friday, October 31, 2008

The Vacuum Cleaner

Have you ever tried to vacuum your carpet without the vacuum being plugged in to the electricity? Of course not! To attempt to do so would not only be difficult but stupid. However, imagine for a moment all the dirt and crud your carpet accumulates over a week and then imagine running over that dirt back and forth without the vacuum being plugged in accomplishing absolutely nothing. What a waste of time and effort.

Even though this seems foolish, we are all guilty of this in our walk with God. We futilely try to clean up our lives without being plugged into the power we need to succeed. We don’t clean up anything, just rearrange it. I’ve heard this stuff all my life and I heard countless times about being plugged into the Power of God, but I didn’t understand it. So how does one get plugged in?

Well, the biggest problem is our own pride. We think we can handle everything on our own so we don’t see the need. Our next problem is fear. If I completely surrender to God, what’s going to happen to me? This was my situation for a greater part of my life. So what changed?

I learned when I had nothing left, I was face down in the dirt with no where else to turn and I didn’t care anymore what happened to me…Then I was in the perfect place to call out to God. When we have exhausted all our efforts to be the perfect Christians and let go, then we can let God. This is called purging. People like me who are stubborn and fearful want to try everything except the right thing. We’re not getting the answers to our questions because we’re not asking the right questions. I’ve always had to learn things the hard way.

So, are you still attempting to vacuum your carpet without being plugged in? I hope not, but if you are I hope that soon you realize where the power is located.

No comments: