The Bus Stop is a series of true stories about my life, people I've worked with and events I've experienced. Of course the names have been changed. I hope these stories will brighten your day with a few laughs as well as give you encouragement. Hopefully you can avoid making some of the mistakes I've made and if you have already made them, then you can identify with me.


Monday, October 13, 2008

Growing Up

When our boys were little my wife (Karen) was a stay at home mom, we both felt the importance of raising our own children. I usually had to work a lot of hours to make this possible and these were financially hard times for us both. We had to do without several things during this time. I remember Karen longing for the much needed adult conversation during these days and fortunately she found a few outlets. I do understand the day in and day out life trapped in seclusion with 3 boys under the age of 5.


There were many blessings and pleasures during these days, but there’s not a parent who hasn’t longed for their children to grow up so they could actually communicate with them. When the depth of conversation entails poopy diapers and “uh oh, I tink I boke it” it gets old real fast. We as parents can’t wait for them to grow up. We become all excited when they become teenagers thinking we can finally have more in depth adult conversations, but guess what…they don’t want to talk now.

I can’t help but think God must feel the same way with us. I know He wants to have deep, intimate conversations with His children and He’s excited about us growing up and maturing spiritually. I’m sure He gets tired of the immature prayers of give me, give me, give me. Then when we get to the point we’re finally able to converse, we get distracted with other desires we prefer. He gives us so many blessings…food, clothing and shelter as well as many of our desires. I believe God likes to see us enjoying His gifts as much as we enjoy watching our children enjoy their gifts. As much as we are proud of our child becoming the Playstation champion on the block, we do have greater hopes and dreams for them.

No comments: