The Bus Stop is a series of true stories about my life, people I've worked with and events I've experienced. Of course the names have been changed. I hope these stories will brighten your day with a few laughs as well as give you encouragement. Hopefully you can avoid making some of the mistakes I've made and if you have already made them, then you can identify with me.


Monday, October 13, 2008

Breathe

A few years ago I was swimming around the bottom of a swimming pool. I was almost out of air so I headed for the surface. Right as I was about to reach the surface, something powerful grabbed me and pulled me back to the bottom. After struggling for a few seconds to free myself I knew the endeavor was futile. The force was just too powerful. Desperate for air but knowing there was no escape I knew that death was certain so I finally took the dreaded breath of water. To my amazement I was able to breathe under water and as I inhaled this refreshing life sustaining oxygen, the force holding me under dissipated instantly and then I woke up.

Wow! I thought to myself. What a dream! I have learned that when I have such specific and memorable dreams, God is trying to tell me something so I’d better listen. As I pondered the dream throughout the day God revealed the dream. For several weeks I had put myself under pressure trying to walk the line. What line you ask? Well, for the first time in my life I had truly seen and understood the true nature of God. I guess you could say I had seen His face and I didn’t want this experience to ever end. So I found myself desperately and legalistically trying to hold on tight by walking the line. Of course this is not healthy and was taking its toll on me. The stress was horrific. This was when God told me to relax and just “breathe” and He would take care of the rest.

Are you stressed out? What things are happening in your life that is smothering you? Is it divorce, depression, illness, unemployment or challenges with your children? I do not know what may be smothering you at this moment, but I know that holding your breathe and fighting is not the answer. Jesus wants us to breathe and let Him handle the tasks beyond our control. He says, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28 - 30

No comments: