The Bus Stop is a series of true stories about my life, people I've worked with and events I've experienced. Of course the names have been changed. I hope these stories will brighten your day with a few laughs as well as give you encouragement. Hopefully you can avoid making some of the mistakes I've made and if you have already made them, then you can identify with me.


Thursday, August 25, 2011

What is Reality?

This is a fairly broad question for many people. Some believe what they can see and hear is reality while others believe in many alternate realities. It’s really sad when those who believe this is all there is and all that will ever be. When you die you go to the dirt and that’s all there is. This is why so many are driven by money and materialism. They think there is only one shot and they are going to get all they can and enjoy life to the fullest. “What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul?” Matthew 16:26

In the last few years my body has been falling apart. Every time I turn around it seems like something else is going wrong. If I believed this was all there was, then I would probably fall into a very serious depression or do some really crazy things. I know this body is only temporary and one day I will be free of this confinement. I work with some elderly people and it makes me feel fortunate that I don’t have as many issues as they have now, but it’s not enough. It’s a glorious thought when I know this is not reality. Eternity is reality.

I’m amazed even at myself when I’ve invested so much into the secular life. I know we have to provide a living and there are certain rules of our natural lives we have to follow, but to become committed to this life believing that this is all there is. “Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.” James 4:14

The truth is that God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are the reality and everything else is fantasy. When we become absorbed into this world it only stands to reason that it takes so little to crush us. Any type of hardship or adversity sends us into a tailspin. This is why alcohol, drugs and other man made devices are so popular. If I believed this was all there was I would be tempted to the same devices. Psychiatrist, psychologist, counselors and doctors are having a field day with people who put their all they are into this life.

No comments: