The Bus Stop is a series of true stories about my life, people I've worked with and events I've experienced. Of course the names have been changed. I hope these stories will brighten your day with a few laughs as well as give you encouragement. Hopefully you can avoid making some of the mistakes I've made and if you have already made them, then you can identify with me.


Monday, February 21, 2011

The Joy of Agreement

Several years ago when I worked at Love Field in Dallas I worked second shift. The shift started at 2:00pm and I as well as most people arrived 10 – 15 minutes early. However, there was one man who came in at 12:30. Finally I asked someone why he came in so early and they said, “He liked walking throughout all the hangers talking to people until he found someone who would agree with him.”

We all love to be around people who agree with our thoughts, beliefs and opinions. These are the people we are drawn to and develop friendships. For those who don’t agree with us will cause friction and most of us don’t like friction. It has nothing to do with who is right or wrong, we are just drawn to others with like opinions. This is the joy of agreement.

Imagine if you will a sports team that couldn’t agree on anything. You are going to see a lot of friction and chaos. There have been churches split over the color of carpet for the auditorium. When there is no agreement chaos is sure to thrive. Some of the most controversial topics is concerning God’s Word. I will discuss the Bible, but I will never argue with anyone concerning interpretations. Most people already have their minds made up on certain topics before they ever get into a discussion and they are not planning to change their mind. The only mind you can change is yours.

For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him. 2 Chronicles 16:9

What God is saying here is that He wants us to be in perfect agreement with Him. Stop justifying ourselves by changing what His Word says so we will feel better. We can’t let our own morality dictate our philosophy. He knows we will never be perfect, but our heart can be perfect towards Him when we are in total agreement with God.

No comments: