The Bus Stop is a series of true stories about my life, people I've worked with and events I've experienced. Of course the names have been changed. I hope these stories will brighten your day with a few laughs as well as give you encouragement. Hopefully you can avoid making some of the mistakes I've made and if you have already made them, then you can identify with me.


Thursday, December 9, 2010

Church for Sale

I just wanted to invite everyone to our next Sunday service and to let you know that if you by your tickets in advance they are cheaper than at the door. We have nothing but the best quality entertainment for everyone and our ticket prices are very competitive with all the other surrounding churches in the area.


We also have a guarantee that our pastor will not preach over 20 minutes and he will stay on topics that make you feel good and uplifted before you leave. We are always trying to bring in the top notch performers to make your visit with us a very spiritual experience.


Each individual ticket only cost $15, but if you would like to look at our package deals you can purchase them by the month for savings as well as additional savings if you purchase by the year. I want to add that your tithe cannot be accepted as a form of payment. Your tithe needs to be in addition to your purchases. For Example:

Monthly - $50.00

Yearly - $550.00

Just for service attendance.

We have the special package deals that include Baptismal Services as well as the Lord’s Supper.

Monthly - $65.00

Yearly - $700.00

These prices also include Vacation Bible School, Special Events, Christmas and Easter presentations.


I hope you realize that I’m being facetious or am I. Every day I feel that the church is selling out a little more. I know this above may be humorous, however is it really possible that it could go this far. I hate to tell you this, but it has already happened. Maybe it’s not in the church that you attend, but in other churches.


People are looking more and more at churches as a smorgasbord. They are looking at churches that allow them to drink, fool around, curse, doesn’t frown on homosexuality, shack up or just let’s them do whatever they want. You may think I’m kidding, but I have talked with some of these people. One woman told me that she used to go to a legalistic church, but now she’s going to a grace-filled church and she can do whatever she wants. Of course, she was still enduring the consequences, but “So what!”


I heard someone on the radio say this the other day. I feel the church has changed it’s focus to where the congregation is the audience, the musicians are the entertainment and the pastor is the conductor and we hope God will join OUR service and bless it. However, it should be that the church including the musicians are the worshipers, the pastor is the leader and God is the audience.


For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ. Galatians 1:10


I feel the church is ran too much like a business with it pastor as the CEO, the staff members as the president, vice-president, the deacons are the board of directors and the church are the unpaid employees of the corporation. This was never God’s intention. I asked a pastor the other day what his thoughts were on the present day churches. He said. “I believe the pastors are giving the people what they want and not giving them what they need.”


God wants us to serve Him with our hearts. He didn’t put us on this planet to be entertained and to look for warm fuzzies. We have a job and a purpose to serve Him, not to be served. Jesus paved the example for us. He didn’t come to rule, but to serve. We need to love and encourage one another. Our time on this planet may be short and I know I long to hear… Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness! Matthew 25:21

No comments: