The Bus Stop is a series of true stories about my life, people I've worked with and events I've experienced. Of course the names have been changed. I hope these stories will brighten your day with a few laughs as well as give you encouragement. Hopefully you can avoid making some of the mistakes I've made and if you have already made them, then you can identify with me.


Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Staying Busy

It amazes me that even though we have the modern conveniences to speed up our lifestyle such as washers and dryers, dishwashers, microwaves, automobiles and computers, we still have dirty clothes, dirty dishes in the sink, eating fast foods and usually being late everywhere we go and whatever time we have left we spend on the computer instead of doing all the things listed above. Hmmm!

I guarantee I’m not pointing fingers at anyone except myself on this one. So what’s the problem? Well, we have more clothes, more dishes, we eat more, and living in a metroplex we think nothing about driving 30 miles which for some is a one way commute to work. I guess we should be more thankful.

Years ago I remember reading a story being written as from the lips of Satan. It was his and his demons duty to keep us busy. If he could keep us busy we would not have time for God or our families. He’s got some working 2 or 3 jobs just to keep their head above water and in turn has us to call it noble. Mothers have had to leave the home to help provide for the family and in turn we call it noble. Soccer and karate practice and the many sports we get involved in takes its toll on us as well.

Divorce is rampant as you all know and one of the reasons is because of all the stress that is heaped on us daily trying to get through the day. Another reason we like to keep busy is because we don’t like to face whatever we may be running from. I know for myself when I am keeping busy it’s very suspicious. What’s chasing you? What do you not want to think about? What are you hiding from? Some may use work to hide while others, like me, zone out in front of the TV. You may not have even noticed it until now.

We live in a so-called society where we are told that we have it all. The conveniences of modern man, but yet we have so much turmoil, pain, hurt and crime I see in so many lives daily. I encourage you to take a moment and breathe, take a walk or a drive and notice the beauty around you. Then think about this verse, "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." Psalm 46:10

No comments: