The Bus Stop is a series of true stories about my life, people I've worked with and events I've experienced. Of course the names have been changed. I hope these stories will brighten your day with a few laughs as well as give you encouragement. Hopefully you can avoid making some of the mistakes I've made and if you have already made them, then you can identify with me.


Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Fork in the Road

Many of us have been in situations struggling with a decision of what is right what is wrong. Eventually all of us have to face the proverbial fork in the road in our lifetime. We go to people we feel should have the answers to certain questions because they have a degree in psychology, a degree in seminary or they might be your pastor. Certainly one of these people should have truthful answers. In Psalm 1:1 is says, “Blessed is the man who doesn’t walk in the counsel of the ungodly or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of the scornful. I think there is a very strong urge for us to be careful.


I know growing up and not having any confidence in myself I would listen to the person who seems to know the answers. I heard in a class that if you said something with enough authority and confidence you could get anyone to fall for it. This of course happened with Hitler and many false leaders. My oldest son verified this because he is smart, so therefore few people would questions his ideas even when he knew he was making it up.


I’ve been confronted by many of these people and sometimes the difference between them and the truth is so slight it can be very scary. Did you know that you could follow the Bible verbatim and be completely wrong? It comes down to the heart and I can’t see their heart, so I have to go to someone who can. God is the only one who can see the heart of any of us and so many times I feel His Spirit tugging at me and warning me there is something not right about a situation or person. Often I don’t know what it is and I have to wait for it to come out later.


My encouragement to you is to make your own decisions, but make them wise. First of all be careful of your feelings. Feelings have a way of misguiding us and leading us straight into the trap. There is only one truth that I know of and that is Jesus. He said, “I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” John 14:6 There are some that say that Jesus was arrogant to make such a claim. I guess when you’re God you can do whatever you want.


There have been so many women taken advantage of by pastors or different men under the guise of counsel. Because of their own lack of confidence or ignorance they believed ever word told to them. I used to be very trusting of everyone and I think I got burned enough to be more careful. I would suggest instead of giving someone trust and take it away as they blow it, don’t give them any trust and make them earn it. I don’t even trust myself 100%. This goes for everyone. You may not even trust God 100% and that’s ok, but I would challenge you to start trusting Him more and let Him prove Himself.

No comments: