The Bus Stop is a series of true stories about my life, people I've worked with and events I've experienced. Of course the names have been changed. I hope these stories will brighten your day with a few laughs as well as give you encouragement. Hopefully you can avoid making some of the mistakes I've made and if you have already made them, then you can identify with me.


Monday, April 6, 2009

Self




I want you to look at the words below and see if you see something in common with them.






Self-Esteem

Self-Confidence

Self-Improvement

Self-Control

Self-Importance

Self-Righteousness

Self-Acceptance

Self-Image

Self-Motivated

Self-Love

Self-Made

Self-Centered


There is one common flaw with all of these words. Have you figured it out yet? You’re right it’s Self!” This is where all of our problems start because we base our life on self. It’s like polishing dog poop. It may be shiny when you finish, but it still stinks. You may think some of these are actually good things to have such as self-esteem. Self-esteem is based on you. What you can do, what you have, where you’ve been, money, job, physical appearance, mate, talents, abilities and even your special gifts. Any of these things are subject to loss. So when or if you lose them you have nothing left. Have you placed all your value in your spouse, children or abilities? Be careful!


I’ve seen this happen with myself as well as with others so many times. We place our value and worth in things we have or things we can do and the moment they’re gone, so are we. We men get much of our value from our job and I’ve also seen many men crumble when they lost their jobs because everything they were and had was tied to their job. This is getting more common daily. Women usually find there value in their home. So what happens when it’s gone? I’ve also seen women tie their importance to their jobs.


There is not one thing on this planet we can hold on to for security or esteem. It can disappear at any given moment. This is reality! I know for myself that at this time I have lost several things and if my value was tied up in these I would be gone too. “But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.” Matthew 6:20 I have seen many people go from having a vibrant, healthy lifestyle to having a stroke or brain trauma and now can barely feed themselves.


So….what do we do? We need something that’s steady and does not change every time the wind blows. Let’s look at it this way.


God-Esteem

God-Confidence

God-Improvement

God-Control

God-Importance

God-Righteousness

God-Acceptance

God-Image

God-Motivated

God-Love

God-Made

God-Centered


As we go through the process of becoming more like Him and we can see life through His eyes, then it makes this life so much simpler and easier to endure. God never changes and this is so much a comfort to me. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. Hebrews 13:8

1 comment:

DGorham said...

That is so great .. I too am so thankful that God never changes.

One reliable in life .. gives me much stability, too!

Good Word, Garry!!

DGorham