The Bus Stop is a series of true stories about my life, people I've worked with and events I've experienced. Of course the names have been changed. I hope these stories will brighten your day with a few laughs as well as give you encouragement. Hopefully you can avoid making some of the mistakes I've made and if you have already made them, then you can identify with me.


Sunday, April 19, 2009

Holding the Wrench


Several years ago when my oldest son was only a few years old, he was with me while I was working on the car. Of course he wanted to help, but because he was so young and small there wasn’t much he could do to help. He wasn’t strong enough to loosen the bolts and big enough to reach anything. He wanted to help and not just observe. Eventually I gave him a wrench to hold for me and I made it an important job. This made him feel important by giving him something to do when actually it kept him out of the way while I got the job done.


Over the last few years I have been busy working with people at boot camp and many times I have felt like I had no business doing this. When I’ve done my own seminars or worked with people on the phone I knew this situation was too big for me. It was out of my league and so many times I’ve felt like, “Who am I?” Then one day it dawned on me I was just “Holding the Wrench.”


God allows me to work beside Him even though I’m not doing anything really important while He’s handling the important stuff. However, He lets me participate in what He’s doing and letting me enjoy the results.


When I realize that He is really the one in control it takes the pressure off of me. I know I can’t do anything to help anyone and my words are just words. It is through the power of the Holy Spirit that gives my words meaning and substance.


I would encourage you to let God be in control and handle the big stuff and you enjoy the pleasure of holding the wrench.

No comments: