The Bus Stop is a series of true stories about my life, people I've worked with and events I've experienced. Of course the names have been changed. I hope these stories will brighten your day with a few laughs as well as give you encouragement. Hopefully you can avoid making some of the mistakes I've made and if you have already made them, then you can identify with me.


Monday, March 5, 2012

Focus

There’s probably not a single person on this planet who hasn’t contemplated some vision of heaven and its beauty. The streets of Gold, pearly gates, mansions and where our friends and loved ones have gone on before us. For the most part it seems that God has held back much information concerning heaven. Paul talks about being called up into the 3rd heaven but wasn’t allowed to reveal or give any information about what he saw. (2 Corinthians 12) I find it interesting and disturbing that since there is little information many have tried to fill in the gaps with their own imaginations. Many of these imaginations you can see are definitely contrived by their own sinful desires and wishes.

Many times I have pondered the vastness and joy of heaven only to end up feeling unsatisfied and even disturbed. Have you ever wondered if heaven might be somewhat boring? I mean, what are we going to be doing for trillions of years? Whenever I ponder heaven I always end up with more questions than answers. Why is this? Why didn’t God give us a better description of the afterlife?

All of us have a fear of the unknown or the afterlife. What lies on the other side? For some may be intense fear of death or simply curiosity. I believe we all have a natural God-given drive for preservation. There are those who consult with “psychics” in attempts to deal with their fear. Others have attempted other means to console they fears.

I don’t allow myself to ponder and dream of heaven anymore. It’s not because of fear of death or I don’t care. It’s simply no matter whatever I can imagine I can’t even begin to understand its glory. Imagine trying to explain to an amoeba that vastness of the universe. It would be a futile endeavor to say the least.

Some of the wonders of heaven that we will experience are to be completely separated from sin, we will never experience pain, (physical or emotional) we will never have any more longings, and we will be at perfect peace and full of joy. These are just a few things that I can’t even begin to comprehend. It’s far beyond our understanding no matter how diligent we seek.

There are those who claim to have seen the afterlife. Personally I believe they’re either lying or delusional. I don’t believe there are words in the human language that could begin to reveal the unimaginable. So many get consumed with the future such as the Book of Revelation that they miss the present. Where we are now needs to be our focus. This is said perfectly in…

1 Corinthians 13:12-13. We don't yet see things clearly. We're squinting in a fog, peering through a mist. But it won't be long before the weather clears and the sun shines bright! We'll see it all then, see it all as clearly as God sees us, knowing him directly just as he knows us!

13But for right now, until that completeness, we have three things to do to lead us toward that consummation: Trust steadily in God, hope unswervingly, love extravagantly. And the best of the three is love.

No comments: