The Bus Stop is a series of true stories about my life, people I've worked with and events I've experienced. Of course the names have been changed. I hope these stories will brighten your day with a few laughs as well as give you encouragement. Hopefully you can avoid making some of the mistakes I've made and if you have already made them, then you can identify with me.


Monday, December 5, 2011

The Opposites

Recently I started dieting and to my amazement I’ve actually lost weight. I still have more to lose and right now I’m thinking it may be possible. My motives for losing weight have nothing to do with vanity. That ship has sailed. One motive I’ve had is to be able to tie my shoes without passing out. I would also like to get off of all my heart medications. I guess the main one is I just want to feel better. I’m tired of feeling sick. I have actually started to feel much better and that gives me the motivation to move on.

What I didn’t realize was God had several insights to give me during this time and give me understanding into areas I thought I understood. I believe I now understand what lust truly is about for the first time. Generally we associate lust with sex. However, when I’ve just eaten and I’m full and pass Taco Bell, Whataburger and everything else I fantasize about the delicious goodies in those restaurants. This is lust! When I want something even though I don’t need it or I shouldn’t have it.

Lust translates into all areas of life. Lust for money, lust for things, lust for sex, lust for food and coveting anything I don’t need. Many have said the opposite of lust is love. This is not true. The opposite of lust is gratitude and contentment. When I am grateful and content with what God has given me then I am content. If I am content with my wife then I will not have any desires for anyone else. When I am grateful for my job then I become content and so on.

Then I begin to notice other statements I have taken for granted such as…The opposite if love is hate. The truth is, the opposite of love is fear. The opposite of hate and anger is forgiveness. The opposite of war is slavery. The opposite of pride and arrogance is peace. The opposite of God is Satan. NO! God has no opposite. Satan’s opposite would be like Michael or Gabriel the archangels. I would suggest that you look deeper into the “opposites” that you have taken for granted. In order to find them you have to look into your heart.

I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. Philippians 4:12

No comments: