The Bus Stop is a series of true stories about my life, people I've worked with and events I've experienced. Of course the names have been changed. I hope these stories will brighten your day with a few laughs as well as give you encouragement. Hopefully you can avoid making some of the mistakes I've made and if you have already made them, then you can identify with me.


Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Personal Ads

Woman seeking Man
Looking for a man who will disregard all my needs and goes out at least 4 nights a week with his friends. He must be able to argue over the smallest of things to the point of becoming verbally abusive and even physical. He must also ignore the children and be extremely selfish spending money only on himself.

Man seeking Woman
Looking for a woman who is extremely superficial and spends lots of money trying to impress her friends, even though I can’t afford it. She must be frigid and spends much of her time emasculating me so that I will feel too worthless to want her sexually. She has to be very touchy and moody; ready to go off on me at a moments notice.

Woman seeking Man
Looking for a man who is easily whipped and will grovel at my beckon call. I am looking for a man with absolutely no backbone and will never argue or question me. He must be willing to stay at home and watch TV while I go out and party with my friends to late hours in the night. He can never question what I do when I’m out either.

Man seeking Woman
Looking for a woman with low self-esteem. Someone that will cringe every time I come home and do everything just the way I like it or else. While I’m at work she must keep the house perfectly clean, take care of our 4 children, run all the errands, keep the grass mowed and have my supper on the table when I get home. I may not be at home the same time every evening so she will have to be able to anticipate my arrival and desires.

How many of you would answer these ads? How many of you did answer these ads? For anyone to actually run these ads would probably never get a response. Their ads actually looked like this, but you still have to read between the lines.

Woman seeking Man
Looking for a man who likes to have fun and laugh. (I never take anything serious, especially our relationship) He must have a good sense of humor. (He better entertain me) He must have an adventurous spirit and like to travel. (I plan on dragging him everywhere, especially shopping) He needs to be gentle, kind and sensitive. (Never gives me any flack) Likes long walks on the beach and watching sunsets. (Pretty much do whatever I tell him and always agree with me)

Man seeking Woman
Looking for a woman who likes sports and likes to exercise. (I don’t like fat women) She must be a Dallas Cowboys fan. (I think more of football than you) She needs to be educated, preferably with a degree and doesn’t mind working. I strongly believe in the women’s rights to hold high level positions. (I plan on staying home watching sports on TV while she brings home the bacon) She must be exciting and have lots of energy. (Cause I don’t and someone has to take care of all the junk around here)

I know many of you saw the signs and ignored them for whatever reason. Now you find yourself in a difficult position. It would be wonderful if people wore signs on them that spoke the truth and we knew what we were getting into, but they don’t. Wouldn’t it be great if mechanics, car salesmen or politicians wore signs of truth? This is why we need to be discerning and intuitive. If we made a poor choice, it’s nobody’s fault but ours.

The only way I know to be discerning is to know what God thinks. Then when I am headed for something dangerous, not only do I need to listen to Him, but I also act. There are many who make plans and arrangements for a beautiful wedding, but the closer they get to the date they start having second thoughts. Sometimes it’s just nerves, but many times it could be a warning from God. There is something within us that says ignore the obvious even though you’ve seen things that you hadn’t seen before, close your eyes and have the wedding anyway. You wouldn’t want to embarrass yourself or your family.

We become blinded by our own desires and fears and it makes it difficult to see the truth. This is why we need to listen to parents or close friends because they can be more objective. One of my favorite quotes is… “They that want to deal the worst, gets the worst deal.” If we enter into any situation in life with desperation, there is always someone there ready to take advantage of us. It doesn’t matter if it’s a prospective spouse, car salesman or real estate agent. We need to be on guard and careful. How many of us have said, “I wished I would have listened to ….”

Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 1 Peter 5:8

No comments: