The Bus Stop is a series of true stories about my life, people I've worked with and events I've experienced. Of course the names have been changed. I hope these stories will brighten your day with a few laughs as well as give you encouragement. Hopefully you can avoid making some of the mistakes I've made and if you have already made them, then you can identify with me.


Monday, August 24, 2009

You Can’t Talk to Stupid

So many times I see people get into knock down drag outs trying to convince someone to their way of thinking. They know they’re right and they go on and on never convincing the other person to their way of thinking. I’ve even probably done it once or twice myself. There are times that I start to get into it with someone when I realize I’m wasting my time because you can’t talk to stupid. You know you’re right and there may be very convincing proof that you’re right, but you can’t talk to stupid.

So what are we really talking about? These people really aren’t stupid usually. They just seem that way because 1) they don’t agree with you or 2) they are closed minded and unwilling to listen. I’ve been there too. This was something Paul told Timothy in 2 Timothy 3:1-5, “Don't be naive. There are difficult times ahead. As the end approaches, people are going to be self-absorbed, money-hungry, self-promoting, stuck-up, profane, contemptuous of parents, crude, coarse, dog-eat-dog, unbending, slanderers, impulsively wild, savage, cynical, treacherous, ruthless, bloated windbags, addicted to lust, and allergic to God. They'll make a show of religion, but behind the scenes they're animals. Stay clear of these people.” Sound familiar?

If you’re constantly arguing with someone at work or with a friend, you can’t win. Now, when you do this with a spouse you know you both lose because you damage the relationship. It’s like playing tug-o-war with an expensive, delicate heirloom. You may get the bigger piece when you rip it apart, but now it’s worthless. As you know, even if you win, you lose overall. Did you know this is found in the Bible? "Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces. Matthew 7:6 If a person’s mind is made up, it doesn’t matter how good of an argument you present because they’re not listening. By the way, there are several applications to this scripture. Here’s another one from Proverbs 15:1, “A soft answer turns away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.”

One thing we should never argue about is the Bible. This is where we need to let God do the mind changing be it yours or the other person’s. Believe it or not I have been wrong on some things before and I’ve had to retract my statement or belief. If I learn or hear something new then I test it to the scriptures in context to make sure I’ve not been deceived. Don’t ever take my word for it.

No comments: