The Bus Stop is a series of true stories about my life, people I've worked with and events I've experienced. Of course the names have been changed. I hope these stories will brighten your day with a few laughs as well as give you encouragement. Hopefully you can avoid making some of the mistakes I've made and if you have already made them, then you can identify with me.


Monday, July 20, 2009

Superman vs. Jesus



If any of you ever read my very first post, you know that I’m an avid Superman fan. I started as a child watching George Reeve in the old black and white Superman which I thought was amazing. I never quite understood how Superman would put his hands on his hips and stick out his chest when a bad guy would empty their gun on him as he stood unharmed. Then they would throw the gun at him after exhausting the ammunition and Superman would duck. Hmmmmm? The other day I was watching Superman Returns and I noticed some things I guess I really never gave much thought. So I started doing a comparison between him and Jesus.


Superman was there to help and heal the present sufferings of the people and the world. The Bible says in Romans 8:18, I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us. Superman was here for the flesh, but Jesus was here for the spirit. Such as, keeping a bus full of children from falling off a bridge, rescuing people in a jet plummeting to earth or stopping a robbery and saving lives. He had the ability to help a few people, but not everyone because he could only be at one place at a time. Superman never gave any thought that his actions may have caused more damage than good because he couldn’t see their hearts (I’m not talking about his x-ray vision) of the people, but Jesus could.


This is the state of mind I see so many people in today. Help me Superman! Stop this present danger that I’m in all while not seeing the eternal dangers they face daily. Superman was here to rescue and save lives, but Jesus came to give life and save us from eternity not the future on this earth. In human form Jesus was limited to helping people because there was only one of Him and He could only be at one place at a time. However, when He died on the cross in place of us and rose again He could give us eternal life and then be present with all of us at the same time.


I want you to understand that I’m really not comparing Jesus to a fictional character, but to the mindset of this nation and the world. We live for instant gratification and pleasure. When it doesn’t come or in the package we thought it should be in then we get angry and blame God. This is the only time many people even acknowledge God. They view God as Santa Claus or a Genie.


This is why so many con-men are successful. They play on the people’s greed and fear. Many elderly and uneducated are taken advantage of by con-preachers. They give their money away because they hope to get more back in return. There is no where in the Bible that says this. Then they end up losing what they had. When they confront the guy, all he has to say is you must not have enough faith and he’s in the clear. I really don’t blame the false preachers as much as I blame the ones ignorantly giving their money away. They don’t have to be gullible, they chose to be gullible. I know some of you are thinking about the verse, “Cast your bread upon the waters and it will come back to you in full measure.” I would first suggest you look at that scripture in context and then if your motive for giving is getting then you are actually taking.


Jesus knows the horrors of hell. This is why He spoke more about it than heaven. We are in a place in our society that people don’t even want to bring up the topic of hell and completely ignore it. Why? Because it’s scary and unpleasant. I hear some shunning the topic because they don’t want to be one of those hellfire and brimstone preachers. Jesus loved us enough to tell us about hell and provided an escape. I love you enough to tell you the truth. Those who shun the topic of hell care more about themselves than you. Not mentioning it doesn’t make it go away. Some say they would rather speak about God’s love because it’s more soothing and exciting. Guess what! This is God’s love. He loves us so much He doesn’t want us to go there. Then you think, then why would He send people there? He doesn’t! This is their choice and free will.


Ok…to answer the question that has been on your mind. If Jesus and Superman were to get in a fight, who would win? At first I thought Jesus hands down. No contest, but at this present time it would seem as if the Superman ideology is winning in this nation. Then I remember that this is just a battle, not the war. Jesus wins!

No comments: